Saturday, September 21, 2013

Blog Post Week 5

1. Since I rated myself as "proficient" on all the NET-S 4, I decided to focus this blog on NET-S 4c. This is because I want to familiarize myself with the proper technology etiquette so that I can teach my students how to use technology safely and effectively. I think it is important for students to know this especially since we have the issue of "cyber bullying" since social media (facebook, twitter) was introduced. It is really sad to me that students and adults would physically harm themselves because of something that was said over the internet. As someone who is involved at a job where we provide therapy for children who have been abused and have mental health needs, I thought this is most connecting to me at this point in my life. I like how in the readings in the first section on Pg. 229, they talk about "think before you speak, and think before you act" and that even though it can take a long time to establish creditability and respect, it takes a short amount of time for it to be taken away. 

2. The "In Your Experience" question was as follows: "have you ever experienced a time when you misinterpreted another person's email message? Have you ever been misinterpreted in the online environment?" 

I have never experienced a misinterpretation of someone's email, but I have on Facebook. Sometimes I read people's status updates, and I misinterpret what they are saying. I may comment on it, and it is something that is completely different. I usually get a reply back with what they meant to say, and it is corrected. No harm, no foul. I don't believe I have ever been misinterpreted in the online environment. It has never been brought to my attention if I have. I am well aware that my intentions in writing versus speaking are totally different, and the emotions cannot always be expressed in writing, so I am careful with what I post on Facebook and Twitter. 

3. I decided to do the exploration #5 which asks me to view a profile of someone on a social networking site, and indicate whether that person is portraying themselves as how they intended. 

I went onto Facebook and viewed my cousin Ashley's profile. (Ashley's Facebook) I'm not sure if you will be able to see it. I don't know what her privacy settings are. However what I can tell you is she is a very positive, outgoing, caring person who has excellent work ethic and cares a lot about my cousin, her husband Jeremy. She is always posting positive things, and they are encouraging as well. If someone posts on her profile, she is great about getting back to them. Also, we communicate a lot using the private messaging tool. It is basically like email, except through Facebook. 

4. Final reflection question: In Chapter 4, Morphew introduces the NETS-T4 with a daunting thought, “always be mindful that the impressions you give and the lessons you live are potentially long lasting and far reaching.” Reread the learning outcomes on page 192 of Morphew. Which of these outcomes has the furthest reaching consequences if not properly modeled or promoted by educators? What are those consequences? How might you structure your teaching practice to promote or model digital citizenship and responsibility to address this issue?

I think that the most furthest reaching consequences would be "promote safety and health in relation to technology". I think this goes back to what I was saying in the first section of my blog. If we are bullying and always saying negative things, and we are intentionally trying to harm someone, it can have lasting physical, mental, and emotional consequences. I have read stories online of how teens have committed suicide because of cyber bullying. I think that I would make it very clear to my class that there is zero tolerance for bullying in my class, and that I will be monitoring their conversations and social media to make sure that everyone is being safe and responsible with the technology. I would stress to them that having access to this technology is a privilege, not a right and that I have the ability to take it away at anytime if I deem they are using the technology inappropriately, as well as I have a legal obligation to report any type of abuse to the authorities. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it's not only important to monitor what you are putting about yourself online, but also that students know how to responsibly use the internet. Just because internet is everywhere, it doesn't mean that it an irrevocable right to use it. It is heartbreaking that children are harming themselves or even taking their own life because of what is being said online (as well as at school, most likely). It's devastating to the families and this bullying is also such an abuse of a privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Morgan and Jamie -- having access to the internet means having access to cyber bullying. I think you brought up helpful points to address cyber bullying. I do think, however, that if there is bullying online, there will also be the same behavior at school. As educators, I believe we have an important task of creating a positive and healthy environment for all students. Discussions of bullying, allowing opportunities to discuss empathy, learning about peers/families can be ways to create a safe classroom climate among students and help limit bullying behaviors online and offline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree I think as teachers we need to know that internet is a big deal for student now. Cyber bullying was never around with us. We need to talk about all these issues as a class.

    ReplyDelete